Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Going Organic-The Start


We are taking the plunge and going to start buying only organic or non-GMO food. I have personally known about a lot of the negatives of GMO's for a long time but for some reason never really thought about it too much and just tried to eat "healhty" lots of fresh veggies/fruits and meats. Well 2 days ago I watched the documentary "Bought". About 10 mins in to the film I knew my grocery list would never look the same. I couldn't ignore the knowledge this time for some reason. I highly recommend watching the movie or reading the book (both of which I purchased if you know me and want to borrow). Couple things I really pulled from the film were that we for some reason have this idea that our food should be cheap, leaving money left over for big screen TV's, fancy phones, pricey clothes etc. We really are what we eat (on a cellular level that is), and after learning about GMO's and how truly untested they are and how they are treated (banned or required to be labeled) around the globe. So thus begins my journey. We have lots and lots of non organic GMO foods in our house and we will use them, but will not continue to buy any more. I plan to buy organic when available and stick to the dirty dozen/clean fifteen list. What we eat is going to change. We probably won't eat as much what we want and more of what is available and affordable/on sale. I have always had a garden (except last year) and plan to grow a large organic garden this spring/summer to help save money. I just placed my first order through Azure. I am excited and overwhelmed by this journey that just begun. I would love to trade in all my current food for GMO free & organic food. But that won't happen. So my journey begins one step at a time. I can't change the past or what I bought last week, I can change what I buy today and tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment